Who is who?
Class Teacher – Miss Mustari
Teaching Assistant – Mrs Ward
Class information – 30 children
Teaching - Areas of Learning
We teach through the Foundation Phase in Year 1 and there are seven areas of learning:
• Personal and Social Development, Well-Being and Cultural Diversity – this is taught through circle time and PATHS.
• Language, Literacy and Communication Skills – this is taught through Read, Write, Inc. and the children are in different groups across Year 1 and 2.
Reading – please see inside your child’s reading record for information.
• Mathematical Development - this is taught through Maths Makes Sense a carefully designed maths programme that uses special vocabulary, physical actions and concrete objects like cups to help all children become confident mathematicians.
• Welsh Language Development - this is taught using Fflic a Fflac - two Welsh puppets, books and a DVD. We also teach the children incidental Welsh to use throughout the day.
• Knowledge and Understanding of the World - this is taught through topic and we use Cornerstones, we change topic every half term. Please see our class web page for a list of all the topics we will cover this year.
• Physical Development – we teach two sessions of PE a week, indoor (Friday) and outdoor (Tuesday). We also teach fine and gross motor skills in different areas of our classrooms.
• Creative Development - this is taught through Topic and enhanced areas of the classroom.
We also teach RE and ICT across the curriculum
We teach using a balance between teacher led focuses and child initiated enhanced tasks.
We have lots of learning areas around the classroom, please take a look and these include the Practical area and the Outdoor area.
The children are in colour groups which we use to manage their learning and different groups visit different areas to complete focuses and enhanced activities.
We promote independence throughout the day, for example the children have their snack by themselves and we believe in showing the children rather than doing it for them.
Timetable - Language and Maths are taught in the morning and Topic including all other areas of learning is taught in the afternoon.
We have high expectations for behaviour and the children are aware of the class rules. We always reward good behaviour and the children all have individual sticker charts in their trays and if they collect twenty stickers they can choose a prize out of the prize box.
We also have a display traffic light and all the children are on green but may be put on yellow as a warning and on red if the behaviour persists.
We hope your child thoroughly enjoys their time in Year 1.
Miss Mustari and Mrs Ward